Norton Healthcare and Morrison have collaborated to implement standards for healthy food marketing, wellness meal offerings, nutrition labeling, food preparation, healthy beverages and fruit and vegetable offerings. In addition, the clinical nutrition team works closely with our chefs to educate patients about healthy eating while they are in the hospital and when they go home.
The FIT icon is noted on all menu items that meet specific nutritional standards. These meals have fewer than 600 calories, 5 grams of saturated fat and 600 mg of sodium. FIT snacks have fewer than 250 calories, 3 grams of saturated fat, 20 grams of sugar and 230 mg of sodium.
Some examples of how healthy foods have been integrated into the menu offerings include:
- A variety of whole grains are infused throughout the menu—whole wheat tortillas, sandwich thins, whole grain pasta, brown rice and grain blends with red rice, barley and rye, multi-grain pancakes, steel-cut oats, flaxseed and wheat germ
- Olive oil replaces butter in our potato and side dishes
- Meatloaf is made from a blend of natural lean ground beef and turkey
- Sauces are created with low sodium stocks and fresh herbs
- Smaller portions of regular (or non-diet) desserts are served
- Legumes (beans) are added to baked goods to increase fiber and flavor
- Leafy greens, such as spinach and basil, are included in soups and pesto